Today I woke up 15 minutes into the first half of the opening game and scrambled to find it online on ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360). After 10 minutes nursing my 4-year-old laptop (80 in tech years) through the simple tasks of opening the internet browser and getting to the website, I was horrified to find that my girlfriend’s family’s internet service provider does not allow video to be streamed via ESPN360.
I gave myself a couple of minutes to hyperventilate—no World Cup for two weeks? What should I do? Would the fall from my second-story window be enough to end it all? I didn’t have a car to drive to any nearby bars, but even if I did, what kind of impression would it make on her family if I ran off from 6 AM to 3:30 PM every day to watch something besides the Packers? More importantly, where could I get a car, and was there a bar within walking distance?
As my panic subsided, my brain started to think. If I couldn’t watch the games on the internet, couldn’t I just watch the games on…the internet? Yes. Justin.tv. If you haven’t heard of it, hear of it now. It could very well save your life, or at least save you a couple of bruises and the embarrassment of having your girlfriend’s family peel you off their backyard lawn. Justin.tv is a website that posts links to illegal internet broadcasts of all kinds of wonderful gooey TV goodness, including the World Cup.
Once I had sifted through a couple broken links, I found a feed from
The game was a joy to watch, even if I couldn’t understand a word of the play-by-play. In fact, I rather enjoyed not having to listen to the commentary. It was soccer at its purest, seen and not heard. From what I could tell, the announcers became excited when the goals were scored, which seems natural when you think about it. Also, although Chinese characters are vastly different from English characters in design and mode of representation, the word “live” is written exactly the same in both languages.
Both teams played fast, open football. Tshabalala’s goal for
Tomorrow I’ll be watching
No comments:
Post a Comment